OPEN A UNIT BANK ACCOUNT
1. Complete the IRS Application for Employer Identification Number (Form SS-4).
2. Call the local IRS Office to apply: (800) 829-4933. You should receive an EIN or Tax ID number over the phone.
3. Assemble two or three people to serve as signers, e.g., the treasurer and one or two additional people. All must be volunteers registered to the GNYC.
4. Go to your local Community Bank and talk to the branch manager about opening a "Community Service Account". The account should be titled Cub Scout Pack ___, Scouts BSA Troop___.
5. Be prepared to present the bank officer with a copy of your unit’s Charter to confirm your status as a current member of the BSA. If the officer requests a confirmation letter from the GNYC, your District Executive can provide that, if needed.
The account must have the following:
- No fees, no per check charges, and no minimum balance requirements.
- The ability to change or add signatures to the account.
- Check should have 2 signature lines for the requisite two signatures.
- Statements should be mailed to the designated Leader and the unit’s treasurer.